Monday, March 30, 2015

The Reservation

We've learned a lot about reservations, from 30 Days, Smoke Signals, and the Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Looking at the conditions in the rez, I can't honestly say that I am part of a social rez myself. Living in one of the better neighborhoods of Chicago, being pretty well-off, and having access to a wonderful school, opportunity has knocked on my metaphorical door many times. I didn't come from a very academically known elementary school, so I suppose I have had to extend myself beyond some perceived limits to be where I am today, not unlike Arnold and Reardan. Honestly though, the greatest example of a reservation I've experienced  is that of certain members of my extended family. They live in the very rural parts of Indiana, and they are the most ignorant people I've ever met and hopefully will ever meet. I'm not being elitist and saying "Well, they don't know calculus or what the Ides of March are, how quaint", no, they are just all around ignorant. Socially, politically, personally, racially, if you can think of a way to be ignorant, they are that. My cousins are an example, and I have begin to realize the incredible limits of living in a super rural area. I'm not saying anything's wrong with rural living, some of my favorite and brightest people I know live even further from cities, I think it's just how they where raised. I guess ignorant parents raise ignorant kids. The point is these kids parents are a kind of reservation from all the world has to offer, and the new ideas that permeate society (like not being racist). For me, the rez was a place or community that was limiting to your opportunities and destroyed your hope, and I guess bad parents fit into that definition for anybody anywhere. It makes me grateful for all the opportunities that have led to where I am today.
Note: Most/All of my family is just fine, I don't want to give the impression I have Klan members in my extended family or anything, just a really ignorant  great uncle and his kid. I guess everyone complains about their extended family though :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment